When it comes to the IT security of your AWS environment, prevention is better than any cure. After all, why should you wait for a breach or other security risk to appear before doing something about it?
These security incidents could affect your business in the short term and in years to come. So, don't you think it's time to start investing in threat detection now?
A case for threat detection
Without a proactive approach to threat detection, you may as well invite a cyberattack or data breach into your business with open arms.
Turning a blind eye to internal and external threats won't keep you safe: it'll only damage your business.
If you need any proof, consider the following research:
- A third of UK businesses lose customers after a data breach
- A fifth of these businesses lose revenue
- Over a third suffer from a damaged reputation
Now, imagine your organisation faced this same fate. You'd want to turn back the clock and fix your mistakes, wouldn't you?
Of course, you would. But let's not get caught up in fictional scenarios. Here's how you can use threat detection to keep your customers safe and put your mind at ease.
Our 3 most recommended IT security threat detection best practices
If you want to best protect your business against attacks and solve problems before they arise, you should follow these three threat detection best practices.
1. Use intelligent analytics for threat detection
With real-time analysis of user behaviours and security alerts, you can discover trends and patterns to identify and resolve threats.
Using an effective threat detection solution within your AWS environment means that you can do this easily.
However, these tools can generate large quantities of 'false positive' alerts. So be sure to have your IT security team review them. Or, if that sounds like too much effort, why not find a trusted partner to do it for you?
2. Don't let processes slow you down
Too many businesses react to IT security threats when it's too late. If you want to enable effective threat detection you need to remove inefficient processes that slow down any response.
To enable rapid responses to security incidents, we recommend establishing a 24/7 incident alerting and response system.
This means, no matter when an incident happens you can solve the problem with minimal downtime.
3. Automate security threat detection
If you have the internal capability, regular security testing of your AWS environment is a time-consuming task that drains resources.
Automate your threat detection to free up your teams and reduce the risk of missing a substantial security threat. After all, your IT team's time is better spent resolving security issues than merely detecting them.
Proactive IT security from Claranet
As part of our AWS Managed Security Service we provide effective, rapid IT security threat detection and response. We can help you:
- Monitor AWS accounts and deployed resources, ensuring they align to security best practices.
- Identify security issues within your environment, providing a triaged list of potential threats with recommendations on how to avoid them.
- Solve problems before they arise, with continuous detection, investigation and remediation of AWS endpoint security events.
- Respond faster to high priority security events, reducing business impact and downtime risk.
If you'd like to gain more control over your AWS security stance and protect your business against cyber threats, get in touch today.